Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace Fellow
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is seeking a temporary part-time, 25 hours per week with evening and weekend Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace Fellow in Oakland, CA.
The temporary assignment will be between Mid-May and October 2017.
The Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace Fellow coordinates, develops, and manages the Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace, a temporary, pop-up neighborhood marketplace in Havenscourt, East Oakland. The Healthy Havenscourt Pop-up Marketplace is a key program that supports the Healthy Havenscourt Collaborative’s action commitment to support neighborhood vendors and businesses to creating a thriving main street atmosphere in Havenscourt. This position will be responsible for developing deep ties with community residents and organizations, recruiting and nurturing neighborhood entrepreneurs/microenterprises, and coordinating and planning on-site events.
The Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace is a project of EBALDC in fulfillment of the Healthy Havenscourt Collaborative. The Healthy Havenscourt Collaborative is a multi-sector group of organizational partners and residents working together to improve the neighborhood health and well-being of Havenscourt. The Healthy Havenscourt pop-up marketplace will launch in July 2017 and be a bi-monthly event, running through October 2017. EBALDC serves as the lead partner in developing the Healthy Havenscourt pop-up marketplace, and as such this position will be housed at EBALDC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Healthy Havenscourt Marketplace Operations and Maintenance
- Adhere to the Healthy Havenscourt policies and procedures.
- Manage the operations of the marketplace related to site’s permitting, preparation for all events and rentals, and manage site’s appearance and cleanliness, including trash pick-up and other maintenance items as identified.
- Ensure the working condition of all equipment on site and work with the Havenscourt
- Participate in designing the physical infrastructure of the marketplace with staff and consultant.
Healthy Havenscourt Marketplace and Events
- Lead managing a series of marketplace events from July – October 2017, including working with the Collaborative Manager and partners to coordinate at least one up to two pop-up marketplace events. Each monthly marketplace event will include neighborhood vendors, family-friendly activities, arts, culture, and music.
- During event hours, ensure that all aspects of the market are managed appropriately including vendor attendance, site preparation, activities and entertainment, and ensure a sound, ethical environment.
- Enter all relevant program data into Salesforce after each monthly pop-up marketplace event within a timely manner.
Healthy Havenscourt Marketplace Vendor Recruitment and Management
- Help identify neighborhood vendors to participate in the monthly pop-up marketplace. Connect vendors to technical assistance programs offered by EBALDC and partnered community organizations.
- Serve as the on-site point person during marketplace events and engage with vendors to ensure they have what they need to have a successful day of sales.
- Manage vendor list and ensure all information, documents, community input, and updates are catalogued in database.
Healthy Havenscourt Marketplace Marketing
- Work with Havenscourt Neighborhood Collaborative Manager and graphic designer to create and distribute all marketing materials related to the pop-up marketplace through designated channels.
- Conduct community and marketing outreach for all marketplace events in partnership with staff and collaborative partners.
- Manage and gather vendor stories and pictures and post on the Healthy Havenscourt Collaborative appropriate social media channels to build anticipation for the market and as appropriate, share with EBALDC’s Resource Development and Communications Department, as appropriate and needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High School Degree or GED equivalent.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience, including grassroots organizing, retail, economic development, small business, and communications.
- Experience or expertise in developing and carrying out marketing efforts, including events, social media efforts, and other strategies to draw a diverse clientele to the site on a regular basis.
- Experience in working with vendors, microenterprises and small businesses.
- The ability to effectively build relationships and partnerships with various stakeholders, including commercial tenants, neighborhood groups, community organizations, and residents.
- Experience working with diverse, low-income communities, and the issues affecting low-income urban residents.
- Experience and/or familiarity with the East Oakland community, in particular an East Oakland resident from the Havenscourt neighborhood is highly desired.
- Ability to relate to people of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic/racial backgrounds.
- Resourcefulness and resiliency, with the creativity and adaptability to find multiple paths and solutions to overcome challenges.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines with attention to detail in a demanding environment.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to easily move around Havenscourt and broader East Oakland, including meeting with community partners and residents at various community sites.
- Ability to pick up materials, food, and other things necessary for organizing meetings and events.
To apply for the Healthy Havenscourt Pop-Up Marketplace Fellow position, please click the link below. Please do not call.