- Residents of Havenscourt have the lowest life expectancy of any other zip code in Oakland
- Havenscourt is a very diverse neighborhood, with 95% people of color (primarily African American and Latino)
- Havenscourt boasts more single female-headed households than any other neighborhood in Oakland
- Chronic absenteeism, as high as 27% in some schools, keeps kids from succeeding
- 25% of all kids who live here don’t pass 9th grade, and 48% don’t make it through high school
- 68% of people live 2x below the federal poverty level, compared to 4% in Oakland hills neighborhoods
- Asthma is one of the major reasons residents visit the ER or are hospitalized in Havenscourt, and a major factor in kids missing school
- Almost half of households pay 50% or more of their income towards housing
Education: Improve kindergarten attendance and parent engagement
Work with schools, community partners, and parents to ensure children are kindergarten-ready and attending school regularly.
Education: Increase youth entering the workforce or attending college
Ensure at least 90% of youth we work with, 10th grade and up, are involved in career pathway activities, such as job shadowing or internships
Social Services: Provide family strengthening activities to improve community connectivity
Work with families to address community stressors through peer-to-peer mentorship and restorative practices, such as Parent Cafes and Parent Action Groups.
Community and Resident Leadership: Support residents leading change efforts in the community
Build a base of resident supporters, encouraging input and evaluation of neighborhood progress by residents, and promoting leaders who spearhead efforts to make Havenscourt a healthier place.
Income and Wealth: Develop career pathways and improve residents’ financial health
Provide workforce development and connect residents to financial capability programs, so that at least 25% of those served will be able to reach a financial goal, such as building credit or reducing debt.
Business Development: Create a district fueling the local economy
Establish a neighborhood market consisting primarily of resident-owned small businesses and host events to attract customers.
Environment and Air Quality: Reduce asthma-related ER/hospitalization rates
Develop a comprehensive set of neighborhood strategies that combine environmental and clinic services to reduce ER and hospital visits.
Housing Options: Preserve affordable housing
Preserve affordable housing in an effort to mitigate the pressures of rising housing costs, reduce resident stress, build stronger family relationships, and have fewer financial burdens.