Director of Portfolio
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is seeking a regular full time Director of Portfolio at the main office.
The Director of Portfolio (“the Director”) is responsible for shaping the long-term performance of our entire property Portfolio and shaping the strategy for new acquisitions. The Director will also oversee the Asset Management staff to ensure that all compliance requirements are met and to identify strategic opportunities to reposition properties for increased community benefit. The Director will work with relevant departments to identify and manage projects and budgets, for projects under development and in management, as well as advising on potential investor equity offers and purchase options in proposed Partnership Agreements.
The Director would also coordinate consulting engagements undertaken by the Real Estate Development and Commercial Real Estate departments.
Although the Director reports to the CFO, they will work closely with the Executive Team, which is made up of the CFO, COO and Executive Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for oversight of entire Portfolio, including go/no-go decisions on acquisitions, modernization, major repairs (over $250,000), refinancing, re-syndication, and new construction proposals;
- Formulates proposals to management / Board to implement plans for repositioning properties in the Portfolio to improve sustainability and better serve the needs of our residents and neighbors. Convenes cross-departmental teams to develop, implement and track progress on property plans to address the following (for all properties in the portfolio): financing structure, cash-flow, capital needs, ongoing rent affordability, divestiture (where applicable), re/financing strategies, rehab, and re-syndication;
- Formulates, implements, oversees plans on property-specific repayment of intercompany debt. Projections and performance of plans expected;
- Works with Real Estate Development Department to restructure financing and exercise purchase options to buy back properties from tax credit investors;
- Develops Asset Management systems with Finance, Property Management (Residential and Commercial Real Estate), Accounting, and Real Estate Development departments;
- Analyzes purchase options in proposed Partnership Agreements to ensure EBALDC interests are represented;
- Develops annual asset management department goals and budget, and participates with senior management team in long-range financial projections and goal-setting that aligns with the strategic priorities of EBALDC;
- In collaboration with Property Management (Residential and Commercial Real Estate): Reviews pro forma budgets and finish materials for real estate projects in development. Compare proformas to budgeted rent schedules and actual operating budgets for similar EBALDC buildings. Develop strategies to improve property performance. Lead staff in determining capital needs for the entire Portfolio in coordination with Property Management (Residential and Commercial Real Estate); secure adequate, timely and appropriate financing to meet needs;
- Reviews Managing General Partner duties with for-profit JV partners;
- Provides Asset Management services to non-controlled affiliates;
- Works with Executive Director and Director of Real Estate Development to develop operating plans and proposals for a new Oakland Healthy Neighborhoods Equity Fund (OHNEF);
- Oversees Asset Management staff to:
- Craft/Manage/Perform against 10-year/5-year/1-year plans and development of property Budgets for Capital needs and annual operating budgets –across property portfolio;
- Apply for annual and periodic welfare tax exemptions with County and state agencies;
- Tracks and produces reporting and keeps systems data up to date on: Debt, Corporate Structure around Properties, Insurance;
- Ensure compliance with all oversight entities related to entire property Portfolio;
- Ensure that net cash goals are met while housing affordability/quality is sustained or enhanced;
- Review and monitor capital accounts, reserve accounts, and losses in EBALDC property portfolio to prioritize building capital improvements and analyze back end buyout strategies;
- Ensure rents increases are in compliance with our regulatory agreements; and
- Establish and reinforce a strong performance based culture, with appropriate performance measurements;
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum of 10 years of highly successful experience in the property management field, including significant experience in affordable housing and asset management
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university
- Minimum 7years of experience supervising professional staff
- Experience in low income housing tax credit financing and regulations
- Excellent analytical and communications skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Careful attention to detail and well-organized
- Ability to adjust to changing situations and work under pressure
- Strong understanding of real estate financing
- Strong negotiating and problem-solving skills
Preferred Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Architecture, Business Administration, City and Regional Planning or a related field
- Significant experience in Alameda and/or Contra Costa County
- Significant experience in asset management and/or affordable housing; and commercial or mixed-use development Familiarity with Low Income Housing, Historic and New Markets Tax Credit financing requirements, as well as HUD and Housing Authority property operations and compliance
- California Real Estate Brokers License
- Essential functions of the position require the employee to use a telephone, work at a standard computer terminal and be able to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit for long periods of time, repetitive motions, stand, reach, lift and carry 20 pounds, and bend.
To apply for the Director of Portfolio position, please click the link below. Please do not call.